Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A million little pieces 2

After getting deeper into A Million Little Pieces, James remains in the rehab center after having many thoughts of death. He attempted to leave but Leonard wouldn't let him and talked him into staying. James is connecting more with the other addicts. His brother and friends come to visit him and that is his first happy day in awhile. James has also been talking to Lily more and is considering trying to get better for his family, friends, Lily and himself.
"This is my brother, my blood, the only thing in this world created from that which I was created from, the person in the world who knows me best, the Person who would miss me the most if I was gone. That he cared enough to come here and that he cares enough to nearly break in front of me means something, but in the end, I know that it means only so much." pg 133
In this passage James realizes that if he leaves and decides to kill himself, he would be hurting his brother and friends very much. He realizes how much his brother and everyone cares for him even though he has done and said some pretty bad things when he was 'fucked up'. Also, after the visit from them and seeing Lily, he starts to think that he actually has things to live for. He knows what he wants and will probably end up doing the 12 steps to become sober and start his life over again.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica I like your passage selection and with this passage it is not hard to believe that James is realizing how much he is cared about. Although I am glad James seems to be doing better and this is definitely a pivitol point in James' life. Overall you did a great job on your blog and I am glad you are enjoying the book, just as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right and this is a very interesting part of the book where James is finally improving himself. He is becoming less self-centered and realizing how much effect he has on other people. Now that the drugs and alcohol have been taken away from him, James is forced to think about other things and desires. He now has to re-prioritize his life and what he cares about. I think these are definite steps in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete